Sunday, November 20, 2011

Growtiger's Last Stand Analyzation Continued because Stupid post accidentally sent~

Ok, so I accidentally pressed post halfway through my last post so this will be my continuation of my talk on this poem. I think that this poem has somewhat of a mock epic attitude because Eliot is using animosity between different types of cats to enact a "takeover" of a notorious sailor like figure. The Siamese could be like Japanese or Chinese overseas (whom America has not always had the best relations with at times).....I'm not sure yet how this is relevant but I know that Eliot is notorious for specifically putting in small details such as that to develop underlying ideas. To go a step farther, there is a theme at the end that love can ultimately lead to one's destruction. Growltiger is so enthralled by Lady Griddlebone that he takes the time to relax and woo the female cat, letting his guard down. This enables the Siamese to overtake Growltiger and his comrades and Growltiger is forced to walk the plank. ""He who a hundred victims had driven to that drop. At the end of all his crimes was forced to g o ker-flip, ker-flop". This brings up universal human saying "Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself". Evidently Eliot is pressing upon the reader that people need to think of their actions or else they will be forced "to walk the plank" like those that they hurt. "Rats were roasted whole at Brentford, and at Victoria Dock, And a day of celebration was commanded in Bangkok"~this line reminds the reader after all the intensive action that just occurred  it is really the struggles of mere cats, which is hilarious in its own right. I think that the comedy and exaggerated means of the story could indicate that Eliot is also saying that we as humans focus to much on ourselves and that every living thing has heirarchy and power struggle (sure they are cats, but still, they fight to seee who will be reigning leader).Also the rhyme and certain words such as "ker-flip, ker-flop" add a less serious and more playfull mocking tone to the peice. Overall, the tone of the work is joking and fun. Also, as I'm reading this again, I believe that Eliot is presenting another theme that it is always good to keep and eye out or onesel and to not let your guard down in life too easy~to go a step furthur this could be Eliot's way of presenting the harsh reality that the world we live in is full of danger and we cannot be "Disposed to relaxation...awaiting no surprise". Overall, I very much enjoyed this poem, it contained a lot of details that contributed in small ways to the effective message of the overall work which I found very cool. Like I said, I do enjoy me some Eliot.

No comments:

Post a Comment