Saturday, November 19, 2011

T.S. Eliot's Book of Practical Cats-Growltiger's Last Stand

So lately whenever I get the chance to read, I keep going back to T.S. Eliot. Don't ask me why, but I have of late found his work to be very intriguing. The T.S. Eliot complete works compilation I own contains his Book of Practical Cats. I read through them all and my favorite one was the Growltiger's Last Stand. The imagery in this poem is really strong-the cat is rough and tumble and one obviously is given the impression that he is a cat that should not be messed around with. This imagery is supported through the description of the cat-he has a part of his ear missing, he scowls at the world from "one forbidding eye", people shuddered at his name. I think in some ways, the cat is being compared to a mysterious sailor or ruffian-one with a hardcore reputation and that people stear clear of. Eliot is almost mocking the attitude of this type of person when he  mentions that people would "fortify the hen-house, lock up the silly goose". Its all ironic with the diction and use of wording throughout the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment